Mechanic or Shop Recommendation

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
Prudence

Re: Mechanic or Shop Recommendation

Post by Prudence » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:23 am

Good Morning...Something that I have occasionally done when nothing else worked has been to set a second 6 volt battery next to the car and connect it to the battery in the car with jumper cables. This will give more power to push through dirty or partially compromised connections. If the old girl then starts, then you know you have a dirty or compromised connection some place and it is a matter for detective Clouseau ;) . A little holy water on the radiator cap can't help. Ernie in Arizona.

rebyar

Post by rebyar » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:56 am

I looked for a shop that was as close to me as possible, and appeared to be qualified to evaluate and fix my starting issue. Here is what I found:
The Antique Auto Shop,Hebron, KY; Anderson Restorations,Kanawha, IA; PARKER'S PACKARDS,Holden, MA; Vintage Motorcar Company, Inwood, WV.

Does anybody have any experience in using any of these restoration shops?

Thank You
REB

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:39 am

If you are considering someone as far as MA or IA then you might contact Ross Miller at Speedwell Garage in Parkton, MD. He owns Packards and has done work for many Packard owners and comes very highly recommended.

rebyar

Post by rebyar » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:08 am

Howard56
Thank you very much. I will give him a call this week.
REB

wjames

Post by wjames » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:34 am

not to be a wise ass, but has it got fuel. i screwed around with mine for hour just to find it was out of fuel
good luck
W

rebyar

Post by rebyar » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:59 pm

WJAMES
I understand your question. The answer is yes. I had driven it about an hour and stopped by the gas station and filled it up with non-ethanal gas. Then parked it. It sat for about two weeks and then it would not start again. It was then that I found water in the spark plug wells. If you have read my original post you know the rest of the story. I have ordered a new wiring harness from Potomac Packard. This problem may be electrical or mechanical- since the pistons and valves got wet several times before I could figure out the problem. Now I don't get a spark at the points and the compression average is 90. I was told it should be at least 100.

The reason I can understand your question is because I restored a 1928 Model A Tudor several years ago. At one time during the restoration period I had worked several hours to correct a carborator problem. I took it for a drive and in 10 min it shut down. I looked at all the things I has done. The gas gauge still showed 1/2 tank. I finally checked the tank and it was empty. Since the Model A uses a float somehow the rod was bent and it showed 1/2 tank instead of empty. Lesson learned.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Regarding your compression values, did you do the test with both the choke and throttle valves held wide open and crank the engine thru 3 compression strokes? If not, your values will be lower.