Wiring Harness Purchase

Discussions related to electrical and fuel system, gasoline, etc.
rebyar

Wiring Harness Purchase

Post by rebyar » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:33 pm

I have a 1937 115c and it has a rigged wiring system. I want to replace with a correct wiring harness. Looking for advice on best vendors to purchase a wiring harness. I have looked at several. Prices range from $600 to $950. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
REB

Howard56

Re: Wiring Harness Purchase

Post by Howard56 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:18 am

For any loom you need to check their website for specifics on construction details or ask a couple of questions of the vendor but as for the vendors currently offering repro looms I have not heard anything bad on any of them. Potomac Packard and RI Wiring are two that seem to get a lot of business but Y & Z and Narragansett also have their supporters. You might also check with flackmaster and see if he has any recommendations since those models are his specialty. I believe he has had repro harnesses specially made for some models in that era before and could suggest someone. Overall, I think it will come down to delivery times and what is included with their looms and how clear the instructions might be. $350 is a significant difference so you need to ask some questions because I don't think vendors are comparing apples to apples with the looms.

Most all old car wire places use the same type wiring but verify that the new loom will use the correct cloth covered wire for the era thruout the loom and not have any modern vinyl wire under the loom wrap. The reproduction cloth covered wire has modern insulation under the cloth but is more expensive because of the cloth cover. Also, after the loom is constructed is it finished off with the correct woven wrapping over the wires or does it use a more modern wire wrap product. Also find out if the terminals are soldered to the wires or just crimped. Crimping is faster and one way a particular vendor could be priced lower than another but crimps need to be done carefully and properly. Personally, I would prefer a vendor who soldered the terminals. There was a poster on another forum just last week that had been fighting some ongoing issues and found they were due to loosely crimped connections. Also find out whether the loom has all new terminals. In cases where an old style terminal is obsolete are you expected to cut and reuse any of the terminals off your old loom. If a substitution has been made because a particular terminal is no longer available does the vendor send the mating terminal for anything modern he used so you can attach it to any wire that might still be on the car that is not part of a new loom.

Regarding the loom itself, I don't know if the 37 is all one loom or not but on later models there are sections that connect together. Those sections are frequently sold separately since not all wiring is easily accessible or even needs to be changed. For your car you would need to verify if the $600 dollar price is just for a partial section of loom whereas maybe the $950 dollar price has everything needed to completely rewire the car.

rebyar

Post by rebyar » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Howard56

Thank you for your recommendations. I sent an e-mail to Potomac Packard yesterday requesting a quote. I also sent a message to Harnesses Unlimited with the questions you recommended I ask. I will try RI Wiring next. I'll keep you posted.

Sincerely,
REB

rebyar

Post by rebyar » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:12 pm

Howard56

I decided to purchase from Potomac Packard. They do cost a little more but the quality sounds better. The delivery time is 4-6 weeks. So I am still waiting for them to arrive. I will let everybody know when I get them and the instructions they provide.

Thanks for your advice.