Comfortable cruising speed for a '29 Packard

General topics, not covered elsewhere, of all things Packard.
auggiedoggie21

Comfortable cruising speed for a '29 Packard

Post by auggiedoggie21 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:46 pm

I am looking to sell my '47 Super 8 and buy a 1929 633 sedan, but am a little concerned about the drivability differences between these two cars. The younger Packard in my garage has the big 356 straight 8 and with the Overdrive engaged on the freeway, I can drive it for hours at 65 and not be too concerned with stressing the engine at all. With the '29 and its 320 straight 8, and probable lower gearing in the rear end, what would be the optimal speeds at which I should be driving, in the event that I go ahead with this purchase? I would have to sell the '47 to get the '29 because of garage space, so keeping both cars is not an option. The farthest I drive for a car show is to Cape Cod once a year and it takes us about three hours, so if the engine speed is an issue I could always trailer it behind my truck, but that would take all the fun out of going to a show.
1947 2106 Super Clipper

Au Packard

Re: Comfortable cruising speed for a '29 Packard

Post by Au Packard » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:13 am

I do not cruise many 633 Roadster above 50 mph, the Sedan probably has a lower drive ratio so it will cruise at a little less. Great cars but not geared for high speed, . Your 3 hour drive might take 10-15 minutes longer, does that matter?

auggiedoggie21

Post by auggiedoggie21 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:22 am

The time it takes me to get to my destination three hours away is not necessarily the concern; it's getting out of the way of some of our more aggressive Bostonian drivers and not being hit. For these trips I could also try to use the "local" roads and streets with a lower speed limit, or leave at dawn with my car club buddy who has a '33 Auburn roadster that never sees anything above 50mph. On my current Packard I don't worry about keeping up with traffic at all but I have always loved the styling of the older cars from the 1920s. If I had to put it on a trailer it would not be the worst thing to happen. I just enjoy the drive itself, but do not want to hold up the caravan I usually travel with.
1947 2106 Super Clipper

GJBINSC

Post by GJBINSC » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:52 am

I drive my 32 straight 8 at 45 to 50 on open roads, but never 4 lane interstate type high speed roads. With mechanical brakes and mechanical steering it is just not a good idea. I also avoid crowded 2 lane state highways and keep a good distance between the next car ahead. An accident in any of these cars is going to likely lead to serious injuries or worse, and going slow always invites someone to pass you on a double yellow line, which has happened to me more times than I can count. I enjoy my car in the early mornings and do not stray more than 30 - 40 miles from home. I also have a roll back guy on my speed dial just in case, and carry a box of new electronic flares rather than the old flame type. You will see a significant difference between your v8 and the straight 8, just remember that the manual gearbox in a 29 is not synchronized, so getting to 4th gear is essential to gain speed, you cannot gain much speed in a lower gear.

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:35 am

Good Morning...I go back and forth between a 49 Packard 288 and a 31 Ford 200.5. When I need to go on the freeway with the Packard, I go at 55 mph and almost always start at sun-up so that I arrive before the traffic sets in and usually I go home on surface streets or back roads. Lots of back roads in Arizona! The Model 'A' Ford has a Mitchell overdrive and so it will also run 55 on flat ground in overdrive. I also try to use back roads more with the 'A' because the breaks, while good, are not as quick as the Packard or a modern car. For me, all it takes is a bit more patience and often an hour or so more running time than the freeway would allow. One does have time to look at the flowers on the side of the road! Ernie in Arizona ;)

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:10 am

I pretty much limit my speeds to 45 mph on my '34 Eight, I'll occasionally push it to 50 mph if important but only for short periods. So obviously I avoid Interstate highways and busy, high-speed state highways. Car is completely stock, poured bearings and the standard 4.69 rear axle, no overdrive.

auggiedoggie21

Post by auggiedoggie21 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:50 am

Thank you, all of you, for your information and your insight. I'm still on the fence about trading cars, due mostly to the fact that I live in an area surrounded by high-speed roads and motorists who drive aggressively, so a car trailer might be in my future for safety's sake. This will obviously impact my decision to buy it or to keep my current Packard, which seems like a greyhound compared to the older one, so I will have to give it some careful thought.
1947 2106 Super Clipper