Heater control valve

Discussions related to engines, transmissions, rear axles, suspension & steering.
packuk

Heater control valve

Post by packuk » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:03 am

Does anyone know the part number for attached item can’t find it in parts book
It’s on a 41 clipper 8 cyl
It’s weeping coolant been cleaned up etc
Was it upgraded on later models
E2A5BFD4-9FF9-4A8A-8B03-2DED9CF49C69.jpeg
(285.66 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Dave Czirr

Re: Heater control valve

Post by Dave Czirr » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:56 am

Since the heater itself was an accessory and not standard equipment, the valve is probably listed with the accessory equipment section of the parts list. And your looks like a later generic replacement, not the original. Modern replacements are commonly available. Or you can disassemble and service yours and add new packing to the stem.

Jim Long

Post by Jim Long » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:27 pm

I have the same control valve on my 1940 110. It is a rising stem valve, when you see all of the threads it is open, the opposite when closed. If you unscrew the jam nut (or packing nut) on top of the valve you can pull the assembly straight up and out. the bottom of the valve is brass at the base and works brass against brass to close on the bottom. The reason yours is weeping is on the top of the assembly you can see a small O ring, yours is probably brittle and hard or broken. It is what makes the seal when the valve is open. I went to Ace hardware and asked on of the guys to help me. Just by comparison we found the right size O ring and for 79cents I walked out of the store smiling another hour or so it was installed.
Jim Long

Kevin A

Post by Kevin A » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:51 am

There are replacement valves at NAPA
Part # BK 6601402

Not the $0.79 fix, but not bad if you just want to replace it.

Howard56

Post by Howard56 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:48 am

I didn't see a size spec for the Napa valve but the outlet on Packard heads are threaded for 3/8" pipe. Hose for Packard heaters from at last 40 onward are 5/8". Many of the aftermarket valves are 1/2" NPT to 5/8 hose so beware of those. Napa has another valve also size unspec"d with a longer threaded end.

With the Napa valves having a straight out 90 degree outlet instead of the approximately 45 degree upward pointing outlet on the valve Packard used, if the valve in the correct size is only available with a short body it might also be advisable to get a 3/8" NPT male to female extension nipple to raise the valve up an inch or so to enable the hose to better clear the manifold.

Kevin A

Post by Kevin A » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:24 am

If I had the original posters valve I’d try and rebuild it. The valves on my 48 and 41 were aftermarket and leaking so I used the Napa valve. I don’t recall the sizing and how I found it, but it worked for both my engines.