1929 Packard 6-40 Brakes

Discussions related to braking systems.
cricklewood

1929 Packard 6-40 Brakes

Post by cricklewood » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:16 am

I have a 1929 Packard 6-40 Phaeton with "weak" brakes. I drove a 1920 Packard 6-33 sedan two weeks ago and purposely stomped on the brake pedal to see if I could lock up the wheels on a paved road - and they did lock and squeal on the pavement. I don't have a shop of my own to work in so I was wondering (a) if anyone can recommend a shop to take it to for brake work and (b) if anyone can comment on 1929 Packard braking and in particular 1929 Packard 6-40 braking. I know another 1929 Packard 6-40 will similarly weak braking and that owner thinks it's the best it can be. I think it's dangerous and don't want to continue to drive it like this. Yes, it does stop when you come to a stop sign or traffic light BUT you have to stay a good 100ft behind the car in front in order to be safe. So, can anyone help with a referral to a shop in the Tidewater (Norfolk, Virginia) area. Can anyone help with comments about Packard 6-40 braking. If I have to take the Packard out of the Tidewater area for brake service I will do it. Thanks. George Schuetz, Norfolk, VA. Home Tel: 757-228-3202.

packardroadsta

Re: 1929 Packard 6-40 Brakes

Post by packardroadsta » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:34 pm

In my experience with a 733, the brakes should definitely lock up the wheels with sufficient force applied. If they are not, then there is something wrong.

I am in Texas, so I can't help you with a Norfolk mechanic. However, here are two places that advertise as being classic car shops:

http://www.mechanicadvisor.com/va/norfo ... -cars.aspx

http://www.fantomworks.com/fw/services/ ... to-repair/

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

Tom

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:09 am

For what it is worth, i have a 533 seven passenger and whilst it is lighter than your car, the brakes are very good. Although a little less good going backwards.

The Packard brake uses a set up with 3 shoes in each drum, which react off each other to contact the drum. It is important that this is set up correctly. I suspect yours may not be.

I hope you find someone to sort it out for you.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:10 pm

George, your brakes should be more than competent, able to lock up all the wheels without excessive pedal pressure. I agree with Adam, you've most likely got serious misadjustment, or perhaps worn or incorrect parts. I'd be curious to know, if you can find a dirt road or grassy field, if when you apply the brakes hard, are all 4 wheels receiving roughly equal braking action? With mechanical brakes a premature application of the shoes in one wheel will inhibit the brakes in the other wheels from applying equal stopping force so a careful, precise adjustment is important. To use an expression I've borrowed from another Packard fan, my recommendation would be to take the "whole patient" approach and start at the pedal and work my way thru the entire system piece by piece.

Adam

Post by Adam » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:46 am

Picking up from Dave`s advice, something I have done in the past is to disconnect all the brake rods, make sure the brake shoes are correctly set up in isolation, then finally adjust the rods to suit before reconnecting. That way you remove a layer of complication from the adjustment process.

Adam..
"Do not underestimate the English cousin.....they are not as stupid as they look!" - Signor Altabani in The Italian Job.

Papple

Post by Papple » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:17 am

The Bendix Bulletin from 1929 provides quite detailed instructions on how to set up the braking system.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modul ... hp?c10/427
1930 Packard 7-45 Dual Cowl Phaeton