Front brakes and wheel bearings

Discussions related to braking systems.
Mr_Rich

Front brakes and wheel bearings

Post by Mr_Rich » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:56 am

I need some help. I'm doing a complete brake job on a '41 Packard 120. It's a nice old car and still a looker after all these years. It's one of the classics in Doc's stable and I took on the job of making this car safe; it had no working brakes. It has suffered some poor quality work in the past which are evident once I pulled everything apart. I've got the back brakes taken care of. I replaced the wheel cyl. on the back diff. and got that end back together.
I've got the front brakes disassembled to the backing plate. The shoes were contaminated with grease or brake fluid on the dr. side so all those parts need to be replaced. The drums need to be turned. I saw from a previous post about nine years ago that I might be able to take a drift and tap the inner bearing out of the drum. I'm not sure about that inner seal. Are they available? Are there diagrams of that part? I'm reluctant to risk damaging that part before I have a good idea of whether that part is available and how it goes together. I have an installation tool like a big washer bolted to a drift. I'd like to get a picture of a new inner seal if I could. Thanks!

Dave Czirr

Re: Front brakes and wheel bearings

Post by Dave Czirr » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:14 pm

The bearing cones, races and sleeves all readily available. You can take the old bearings and seals to a good auto parts store and they should be able to source them by referencing the numbers on them. Or just order from one of the major Packard vendors.

Yes, the standard method of removing the inner bearing and seal is carefully driving the out from the opposite side with a drift. It's a very standard construction, pretty much like used by all makes for decades so not sure why you want a diagram, but the owner's manual, available as a reprint, has illustrations and service instructions for most mechanical features. If you're serious about this car, the manual and parts book are very instructive.

The 1941 120 was my first Packard back in the late 1950s, an outstanding car, wonderful road habits.

Mr_Rich

Post by Mr_Rich » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:56 pm

I took the drums to a shop to get them turned today. The guy pulled out a steel rod to pound out the inner race and seal. Nope! I took responsibility and brought them back to Doc's garage and tapped them out with a brass drift. No muss, no fuss. I wasn't sure about it at first but they came out okay without a scratch. The old seals were sloppily installed and they need to be replaced. I measured the outer diameter and it is 2.75" approx. with my dig. caliper. The seal surface on the spindle is 1.75". I'm hoping the shop can match that up since that's what they specialize in. The darn brake hoses were retained with wheel alignment shims instead of the proper spring clips. I'll get that squared away when I start putting everything back together. The brake shoes were badly contaminated with grease/ brake fluid. It should be pretty good with new parts.

Mr_Rich

Post by Mr_Rich » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks for the reply. I'm back at it today to get the drums back at the shop to get turned. One question I have is adjusting drum brakes. I'm sure we have some experts here. It's been a long time for me since all of my vehicles are 4WAL disks. Tighten up the shoes to the drum and then back off how many clicks? Road test and verify even braking. That's the plan when this car is ready for a road test.

Dave Czirr

Post by Dave Czirr » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:38 am

Image below from the 1941 120 owner's manual, the brakes are Bendix self-energizing, pretty much the dominant industry system except Chrysler/Ford up until the disc brake era. When relining follow the procedure precisely; when later adjusting just for wear you can ignore the eccentric pin adjustment. Glad to scan and post for you, but again suggesting you get a reprint owner's manual. The proper adjustment of the eccentric anchor pin is VERY important, critical to proper brake performance.
Attachments
41 120 adjust.jpg

Mr_Rich

Post by Mr_Rich » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:10 am

Thanks again for that info. The attention is in the details. This car suffered with some poor work in the past and when we get the car up on the lift we'll get a better look at things. Right now I have the front end on jackstands on the garage floor. Do you have an opinion on the going rate for a four wheel brake overhaul? We're about $300 in parts so far. If you're familiar with the HGTV show "Make It Right"; I'm trying to make the brakes right on this one. Not sure what my labor cost should be since I take my time and can't really justify my labor by time since I like to detail some of the parts as well like cleaning and de-burring some of the parts.